Current page: 14

14. Attaching the base




<--Previous  Up  Next-->

14. Attaching the base

I started the final assembly by inserting the tree sculpture into the base, and wrapped its surface roots over the top of the base. Next, I used pliers to bend its root tips and sink them into the base, so that it was well-anchored. I tried dripping solder into the hole of the tap root to make it more sturdy, but that melted the enamel and made a short circuit. It drove me crazy trying to get that solder out. After I finally got it out, I pulled the enameled wire off the tap root and dripped super glue over it to give it a new layer of enamel. I tell you this so you won't make the same mistake. I wired everything together and put the external plug, the driver circuit, the switch, and the battery holder in the base. I carved every hole to exactly fit its piece, so everything went in pretty snugly. The external power plug was the only thing that was a little loose. After everything was together and I tested that it worked, I dripped super glue on the pieces that were a little loose. I made another mistake of letting some super glue coat the inside of the plug for the external power supply. Dried super glue is a good insulator, so the electricity couldn't go through until I scraped the glue off the inside of the plug. I went a little crazy thinking of ways to clean it off without buying a new plug. I wanted to roll up a little piece of sandpaper and slide it in and out of the round hole, but I couldn't find any sandpaper and didn't want to go to the store. I finally got an extra piece of galvanized wire and used wire pliers to nick its edges to make it rough and used it as a file. To avoid that hassle, be careful when applying superglue!